Top 10 Fly Control Methods
Fly control is made more difficult by animal production systems which often seem designed to favor fly production. This is accidental, of course, and the unplanned result of not considering fly control methods when designing livestock and poultry production facilities. Call for your Fly Control Auckland 0800 199 399
Fly control measures must accommodate the developments in animal production and housing practices. The species of flies, their relative abundance and the success of fly control measures are all affected by animal husbandry practices, especially housing and manure-handling systems.
A multimethod management approach to fly control, using a mixture of cultural, biological and chemical control measures adapted to the production system, will always provide the most cost-effective solution.
However it’s important to have an understanding of the various fly control methods (including their biology and behavior), parasites and predators of flies (biological control agents), manure management techniques, insecticides and insecticide application techniques.
Reliance on the use of insecticides alone for fly control methods rearly provides a satisfactory answer. Insecticides are most effective when the flies population is already suppressed with proper manure management methods which minimize pest breeding and encourage populations of pest predators and parasites.
Resistance to insecticides by flies, especially the house fly, is another important factor. Resistance to even new insecticides has been seen to develop rapidly as their use becomes widespread.
Furthermore, flies resistance to one chemical is often accompanied by cross-resistance to other, related chemicals, even if they have not been used for fly control.
Use fly control specialests in Auckland such as Auckland Carpet Steam ‘n’ Dry. Also look at the variety of services they offer. Many fly control companies also offer regular maintenance to ensure the insects do not return. Some Auckland fly control companies can treat the home for several pests, depending on the range of issues you’re facing. When hiring a fly control methods company, the key is to get a proposal tailored to your needs and budget. The rest will fall into place as you start treating the problem and gaining the benefits of a fly-free.
The search for new, effective fly control chemicals method is a time-consuming and expensive process, with only occasional success. It is therefore important to delay or avoid resistance development. Thisֲ can only be achieved by using insecticides in conjunction with effective cultural and biological measures.
All insect pests, including flies, have fluctuating populations under natural conditions. Their numbers of flea control will rise and fall above and below a mean level.
Effective management entails a combination of insect control methods to reduce that mean level to an acceptable level; flies cannot be eliminated, but their numbers can be kept at a tolerable level.
In the case of the house flies in confined-animal production facilities, the precise mean level that is acceptable depends upon the circumstances. Regardless of this, an effective fly control management program should always be based on an integration of cultural, biological and chemical methods of fly suppression.
Fly Control & Identification
Flies have been a major nuisance to humans and animals for thousands of years. Many transmit disease causing organisms and are linked directly to typhoid, cholera, dysentery, diarrhea, pinworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms and tapeworms. Most flies have filthy habits that make them efficient disease transmitters. Disease causing organisms are picked up by flies from garbage, sewage, rotting debris, dead animal carcasses, animal excrement, etc and are directly transmitted to us by way of their mouthparts or through their vomit or feces to our food, our food preparation surfaces, our sanitary items and to almost anything that we contact.
Most flies lay their eggs in warm moist materials that will furnish a food source for the developing larvae (maggot). Animal and human feces, garbage, diaper bags, rotting vegetables, and even ground with excess organic matter will provide a suitable egg depository. Once deposited the egg hatches and a larvae resembling a small yellowish worm called a maggot emerges. Fly larvae will normally pupate or form a hard brown colored pupa shell around their body in 4 -7 days. When fully developed the adult fly breaks open the end of the pupa shell and emerges. Adult flies are often ready to mate within hours of pupating. During warm weather, most of them can have 2 or 3 generations per month. The average adult fly lives about 20 days.
Normally, fly populations build over the summer and are the greatest during the early fall months. At the end of the fall, they are preparing to overwinter and will remain in their pupal casings where they are protected from the elements. It is thought that flies like most insects will secrete an “antifreeze protein” while in their pupal casing which protects them from the cold and the harsh winter elements. This is why they are found as far north as Alaska and Northern Canada.
Right – fly eggs, Bottom -fly larvae (maggot), Left – Pupae, Top – Adult House Fly
During the summer and fall months, controlling flies can be a never ending task. Any flying insect can travel hundreds of feet or yards, even miles in some cases away from their breeding areas. Caught up in a wind current, flies can literally travel the from State to State or region to region. This is why taking a few extra precautions against them can save you from a big flies control headache down the road. Knowing and understanding the the fly control that you are dealing with helps with certain flies control methods. We have attempted to give you a brief description and common control measures of the most common pest species affecting Auckland.
How To Get Rid Kill Flies
Proper sanitation and housekeeping are crucial in controlling flies. No amount of chemicals or traps will control them if a few basic steps are not followed. Implementing the following steps is the very basis for fly control in and around homes and buildings.
- Remove garbage at least 2 times per week. More often if rotting meat, poultry or fish is disposed of. Some fly species can complete their life cycle in as little as 3 or 4 days. Disposing of rotting garbage is critical to fly control.
- Make sure that garbage cans or dumpsters have tight fitting lids. Rotting garbage odors attracts flies. Do not allow them to have an easy access to garbage. Use a liner in your trash can if possible. Do not allow garbage to accumulate in the bottom of trash cans. Steam clean and disinfect garbage cans and dumpsters periodically to help eliminate odors.
- Keep garbage cans as far away from doors as possible.
- Commercial Kitchens should make sure that floor drains are screened and grease pits are emptied and cleaned at least 1 time per month.
- Keep doors and windows closed or screened. This the number 1 way flies enter buildings. It is extremely important that there are no holes or rips in window screens, and that doors close properly. Check to make sure that door sweeps are in good condition.
- Pick up animal excrement and droppings. Flies will feed and deposit eggs on animal droppings. Get a pooper scooper and bag your doggies droppings at least once a week. More often for larger dogs with larger droppings!
- Remove dead animals or birds that have died in the attic or walls. Dead animals emit odors that will attract flesh flies, bottle flies, etc.
- Keep exposed food covered. Flies can transmit disease and lay eggs directly on exposed food.
- Do not over water houseplants. Make sure houseplants are well drained and do not stand in water. Over watered and soggy houseplants are the number 1 reason for indoor gnats.
- Do not let food buildup under tables and in hard to reach areas. Mop or steam clean your floors on a regular basis making sure to get to all those hard to reach areas.
- Do not let floor drains stand in water. Floor drains can become clogged with organic residues. This organic residue will actually “line” the drain sufficiently enough to allow drain and fruit flies to breed. Pouring bleach or acid down the drain will not help. Drain odors are usually the first sign of trouble. Use Drain Gel regularly on floor drains to remove and prevent organic buildup.
- Use Air Curtains on commercial kitchen doors to keep flies out. Air curtains are usually required by local health departments.
- Use fly traps to kill and control flies indoors.
Fly Control Tips – Indoors and Outdoors
Flies come from the outside. The treatment strategy for them is to reduce the outside attraction if at possible. This includes removing garbage, eliminating odors such as those caused by pet droppings, animal droppings, stagnant water, mold, mildew, etc.. If the outside conditions cannot be controlled such as those on farms, ranches, commercial properties, lakeside or ocean side communities, etc., then your fly control efforts will be a continual ongoing effort.
Helpful Fly Control Tips
- Outside areas should be cleaned and raked whenever possible. Elimination of odors that attract flies is of number 1 importance.
- Make sure that doors and windows are screened and sealed. Open doors and windows are an easy invitation for flies. Make it hard for them to get inside.
- Do not place bug zappers on porches, patios or within 100 feet of the outside areas of homes or buildings. Place electrical bug zappers at the farthest point possible away from the house. This will attract flying insects away from the house and not to it. Electrical bug zappers will cause the insect to explode releasing body parts into the air and surrounding areas. Do not use electrical bug zappers indoors, near barbeque pits, or other places where food is prepared or served.
- Outdoor sprays such as Dursban work well to kill and repel flies. Spray all outdoor areas if possible including the sides and even the roof of the structure in some cases. Repeated use may be necessary for good control.
- Fly Baits such as Maxforce baits work well to attract and kill flies. These baits contain a fly attractant or “pheromone” called muscamone that attracts flies from as far as 15 feet. Place into a tamper resistant station such as the Fly bait station
- In backyards or commercial areas where
Rid Flies Control Today
For best fly control results I recommend using the specialists such as Fly Control or Auckland Carpet Steam ‘n’ Dry Fly Control. Call for your Fly Control Auckland 0800 199 399