Fly Pest Control Guide
Fly Control for Your Home or office
A buzzing house fly is simply irritating. But besides the annoyance, you might not realize there are plenty of good reasons to swat every fly that comes your way — and keep them out of your home altogether. Flies breed in animal waste and decaying organic material, such as garbage and rotting fruit fallen from trees. And as a result, they pick up bacteria and viruses that can make humans sick.
So how do you keep flies controlled? Use screens. The easiest and best defense against them is to keep them out of the house. Seal cracks around doors and windows and use well-fitted screens. Don’t leave doors open.
Sticky fly paper can help fly control in confined areas. But they don’t provide a long-term remedy. Fly swatters are another time-tested method of pest control. Just be sure not to use a swatter near where food is being prepared. There are good pesticides for pest control.
However this needs to be followed though with a fly control treatment for best results such as Pest Control Auckland Pest Control or Auckland Carpet Steam ‘n’ Dry Pest Control Auckland Also look at the variety of services they offer. Many fly pest control companies also offer regular maintenance to ensure the insects do not return. Some Auckland pest control companies can treat the home for several pest, depending on the range of issues you’re facing. When hiring a pest control company, the key is to get a proposal tailored to your needs and budget. The rest will fall into place as you start treating the problem and gaining the benefits of a fly-free.
- Flies live in garbage and wherever animal feces are available. Dead animals attract them within hours after death. Most flies are diurnal.
Fly Pest Control, How to get rid of Flies or How to kill Flies
What to do
- Get Immediate Professional Inspection and Flies treatment before it get severe problem
WARNING: Do NOT attempt DIY Flies pest control in side or around the house, you or your children might get sick and there are heavy fines for using an insecticide that is NOT registered for pest control – will not eradicate the flies infestation
Things you MUST know
- Be careful when selecting a pest controller it’s far too easy to get mostly unsupervised trainees who have little knowledge of pest species or flies control pesticides
- Be careful of very cheap prices for pest control – check which pesticides are to be used – do they propose to use the far cheaper, less effective, solvent based pesticides which can be acutely harmful in premises where occupants may suffer from asthmatic or other bronchial ailments.
How Much You Should Expect to Pay for the Auckland Fly Control treatment?
The cost should be to solve your flies problem – depends on the size of the property – intensity of infestation – number of areas affected – ease of access for inspection and flies insecticidal treatment.
Domestic premises: About from $69 to $250
Commercial premises: Quote is advisable after treatment
Rid your home of all annoying Flies today
For best pest control results I recomend using the specialises such as Pest Control Auckland Fly Control or Auckland Carpet Steam ‘n’ Dry Pest Control Auckland.
Fly Control & Identification Facts
Flies have been a major nuisance to humans and animals for thousands of years. Many transmit disease causing organisms and are linked directly to typhoid, cholera, dysentery, diarrhea, pinworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms and tapeworms. Most them have filthy habits that make them efficient disease transmitters. Disease causing organisms are picked up by flies from garbage, sewage, rotting debris, dead animal carcasses, animal excrement, etc and are directly transmitted to us by way of their mouthparts or through their vomit or feces to our food, our food preparation surfaces, our sanitary items and to almost anything that we contact.
Most flies lay their eggs in warm moist materials that will furnish a food source for the developing larvae (maggot). Animal and human feces, garbage, diaper bags, rotting vegetables, and even ground with excess organic matter will provide a suitable egg depository. Once deposited the egg hatches and a larvae resembling a small yellowish worm called a maggot emerges. Fly larvae will normally pupate or form a hard brown colored pupa shell around their body in 4 -7 days. When fully developed the adult fly breaks open the end of the pupa shell and emerges. Adult flies are often ready to mate within hours of pupating. During warm weather, most them can have 2 or 3 generations per month. The average adult fly lives about 20 days.
Normally, fly populations build over the summer and are the greatest during the early fall months. At the end of the fall, flies prepare to overwinter and will remain in their pupal casings where they are protected from the elements. It is thought that flies like most insects will secrete an “antifreeze protein” while in their pupal casing which protects them from the cold and the harsh winter elements. This is why they are found as far north as Alaska and Northern Canada.
Left – fly eggs, Bottom -fly larvae (maggot), Right – Pupae, Top – Adult House Fly
During the summer and fall months, controlling flies can be a never ending task. Any flying insect can travel hundreds of feet or yards, even miles in some cases away from their breeding areas. Caught up in a wind current, flies can literally travel the from State to State or region to region. This is why taking a few extra precautions against them can save you from a big fly headache down the road. Knowing and understanding the species of pest that you are dealing with helps with certain fly species. We have attempted to give you a brief description and common control measures of the most common fly species affecting the continental US.
How To Kill And Get Rid Of Flies
Proper sanitation and housekeeping are crucial in controlling flies. No amount of chemicals or traps will control flies if a few basic steps are not followed. Implementing the following steps is the very basis for pest control in and around homes and buildings.
- Remove garbage at least 2 times per week. More often if rotting meat, poultry or fish is disposed of. Some pest species can complete their life cycle in as little as 3 or 4 days. Disposing of rotting garbage is critical to fly control.
- Make sure that garbage cans or dumpsters have tight fitting lids. Rotting garbage odors attracts flies. Do not allow them to have an easy access to garbage. Use a liner in your trash can if possible. Do not allow garbage to accumulate in the bottom of trash cans. Steam clean and disinfect garbage cans and dumpsters periodically to help eliminate odors.
- Keep garbage cans as far away from doors as possible.
- Commercial Kitchens should make sure that floor drains are screened and grease pits are emptied and cleaned at least 1 time per month.
- Keep doors and windows closed or screened. This the number 1 way flies enter buildings. It is extremely important that there are no holes or rips in window screens, and that doors close properly. Check to make sure that door sweeps are in good condition.
- Pick up animal excrement and droppings. Flies will feed and deposit eggs on animal droppings. Get a pooper scooper and bag your doggies droppings at least once a week. More often for larger dogs with larger droppings !
- Remove dead animals or birds that have died in the attic or walls. Dead animals emit odors that will attract flesh flies, bottle flies, etc.
- Keep exposed food covered. Flies can transmit disease and lay eggs directly on exposed food.
- Do not over water houseplants. Make sure houseplants are well drained and do not stand in water. Over watered and soggy houseplants are the number 1 reason for indoor gnats.
- Do not let food buildup under tables and in hard to reach areas. Mop or steam clean your floors on a regular basis making sure to get to all those hard to reach areas.
- Do not let floor drains stand in water. Floor drains can become clogged with organic residues. This organic residue will actually “line” the drain sufficiently enough to allow drain flies and fruit flies to breed. Pouring bleach or acid down the drain will not help. Drain odors are usually the first sign of trouble. Use Drain Gel regularly on floor drains to remove and prevent organic buildup.
- Use Air Curtains on commercial kitchen doors to keep flies out. Air curtains are usually required by local health departments.
- Use fly traps to kill and control flies indoors.
Fly Pest Control Tips – Indoors and Outdoors
Flies come from the outside. The treatment strategy for flies is to reduce the outside attraction if at possible. This includes removing garbage, eliminating odors such as those caused by pet droppings, animal droppings, stagnant water, mold, mildew, etc.. If the outside conditions cannot be controlled such as those on farms, ranches, commercial properties, lakeside or ocean side communities, etc., then your pest control efforts will be a continual ongoing effort.
Helpful Fly Control Tips
- Outside areas should be cleaned and raked whenever possible. Elimination of odors that attract flies is of number 1 importance.
- Make sure that doors and windows are screened and sealed. Open doors and windows are an easy invitation for flies. Make it hard for flies to get inside.
- Do not place bug zappers on porches, patios or within 100 feet of the outside areas of homes or buildings. Place electrical bug zappers at the farthest point possible away from the house. This will attract flying insects away from the house and not to it. Electrical bug zappers will cause the insect to explode releasing body parts into the air and surrounding areas. Do not use electrical bug zappers indoors, near barbeque pits, or other places where food is prepared or served.
- Outdoor sprays such as Dursban work well to kill and repel flies. Spray all outdoor areas if possible including the sides and even the roof of the structure in some cases. Repeated use may be necessary for good control.
- Fly Baits such as Maxforce baits work well to attract and kill flies. These baits contain a fly attractant or “pheromone” called muscamone that attracts flies from as far as 15 feet. Place into a tamper resistant station such as the Fly bait station
- In backyards or commercial areas where
Pest Control Auckland 0800 783 266
South Auckland, East Auckland, West Auckland, North Shore Auckland, Eastern Bays, Eastern Suburbs, Western Suburbs, Manukau City, Waitakere City, Cbd, North Shore, Shore, Waitakere, Manukau, Howick, Pakaranga, Botany, Panmure, Ellerslie, Mt Wellington, Penrose, Greenlane, Remuera, Newmarket, Epsom, Mt Roskill, Mt Albert, Manurewa, Botany, East Tamaki, Otara, Dannemora, Otahuhu, Onehunga, Papatoetoe, Pukekohe, Papakura, Mangere, Manerewa, Parnel, City, Hernebay, Ponsonby, Pt Chev, New Lynn, Henderson, Te Atatu South, Te Atatu Penisula, Auckland City, North Shore, Glendene, Glen Eden, Titirangi, Massey, Greenhieth, West Habour, Hobsonville, Orewa, Brownsbay, North Shore, Glenfield, Birkdale, Birkenhead, Takapuna , North Habour, North Auckland, Devonport, Milford, East Coast Bays, Hibiscus Coast, Whangaparoa, Rodney District, Albany, Nth Shore, Auckland Cbd, Manukau City